z

Young Writers Society



Doll: Chapter One

by Ailam Remard


Screaming. Dying echoes of screaming, filling her head with long lost, painful memories of misery and havoc. After the last screams had died out, cold air playing with her hair, and sun setting over the horizon, she was lost.

Lost. That was a scary word. It made your blood run cold.

* * *

Hey eyes flew open and landed on the blinking alarm clock next to the small, tattered bed. 1:02 am. Her breathing evened out as she relaxed. It was just a dream. It was just a dream. But she still couldn't remember why that memory kept coming back to her. It was all behind her now.

Matt shifted closer to her and in his dreams, put a big arm around her. She closed her eyes and snuggled into his chest, breathing in his scent. It was just a dream.....

* * *

She twisted the wedding ring on her finger nervously as she waited to be called into the doctor's office.

"Mrs. Winters." A nurse stood with her clipboard tucked under her arm at the far end of the room. She stood up and followed her back into the office. "Please wait here, Dr. Smith will be back to see you in a moment," the nurse's monotone voice droned. She took a seat in a chair in the corner of the room and waited. Waited for what seemed like hours. She wished Matt was here with her, but Matt didn't even know what she was doing.

The turning of the doorknob made her jump, and the doctor held a clipboard identical to the nurse's, tucked under his arm in the same fashion. He was smiling. No, please God, no.

"The test was a positive, Mrs. Winters." The words echoed in her head. She felt nauseated. Positive.

"Is there any way the test could have been wrong?" She whispered.

"Oh no, your quite far along. Four months." The doctor replied. "Congratulations."

* * *

The car door slammed as she slumped into her car seat. She buried her face in her hands and cried. People passing by gave strange looks of sympathy to the weeping woman in the parking lot of the urgent care. She didn't care. Once she had gathered most of her wits, she peeled out of the parking lot and sped down the road. She didn't care if she died. She didn't care at all. She wanted to die.

In the park there was a bridge over a lake, she remembered. Yes, now that she thought of it, there was. She headed in that direction.

* * *

The glassy surface of the water reflected her puffy red eyes and tear stained cheeks. Was that her? Instinctively, she brought a hand down to her belly and rubbed it. She could just start to make out the firmness of it. It wasn’t like a regular belly.

Her cell phone ringing in her pocket startled her. Matt. It was Matt.

“Hey babe,” she whispered, fighting back tears.

“You okay, Anahita?” his concerned voice asked over the phone.

She held the mouth piece away from her mouth so he would not sense any more concern. “Yes, of course.”

“Just checking up on you. I’ll be home early today. Let’s go do something fun.”

“Matt?” she started. “I got to tell you something.”

“Yes?”

Oh God. “Never mind. It can wait.”

“I got to go, Doll,” he whispered over the phone. “Boss.”

“Have a good day,” she replied.

“Anahita?”

“Yes?”

“I love you.” And then he hung up.

She slammed the cell phone shut and started to cry harder. She threw it into the lake below. She couldn’t kill herself now. Maybe later.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
253 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 253

Donate
Wed May 14, 2008 12:24 am
CK Lynn says...



Really, really good and intruging. I can't wait to read the next chapter. The only thing I can tell you is that "bloodcurdling" is one word, not two.




User avatar
270 Reviews


Points: 1373
Reviews: 270

Donate
Tue May 13, 2008 11:44 pm
Alice wrote a review...



It made your blood run cold.


"Your" should be "hers" I think.

It was just a dream. It was just a dream.


Saying it twice is repetitive, but if you want to have it there have it as a thought, or something to that effect. Just make it italics.

Matt shifted closer to her and in his dreams, put a big arm around her. She closed her eyes and snuggled into his chest, breathing in his scent. It was just a dream.....


Thats adorable, but over used, I'd suggest some better phrases but I have a tendency to kill peoples ideas when I tell them to change something and give them an example.

the nurse's monotone voice droned.


I like that phrasing, its something I haven't seen in a while. ^_^ (you get extra points for that!)

room and waited. Waited for what seemed like hours.


You use "waited" twice in a row and it made it sound akward >.< maybe having..."room and waited. She waited for what seemed like hours."?

People passing by gave strange looks of sympathy to the weeping woman in the parking lot of the urgent care


Haha, that made me laugh, I like that.

In the park there was a bridge over a lake, she remembered. Yes, now that she thought of it, there was. She headed in that direction.


Dun dun dunnnn!!!!!!!!


startled her. Matt. It was Matt.


You don't have to put that last sentence in there, it brings on the "duh we knew it was him the first time you said it!" response. Which is never good.

I like Matt ^_^ he seems like one of those teenage trouble makers cleverly disguised as a responsible adult. Why is it so horrid that she's pregnant? That should be good right? You'd better say in the next part, or soonish. The cliffhanger thing is okay for now but once you get passed the third chapter dealing with her its just annoying.

So far so good! Keep it up!




User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 89

Donate
Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 am
Talking_Pinata wrote a review...



Well you've just caught my attention more than any story around here. A baby? What's so bad about that?! Well, I'd be scared about the pain, but aren't they married? She has a wedding ring...*asking these questions to myself, mostly*

Please PM me when more of this arrives, I'll be wanting to read it.




User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 5214
Reviews: 150

Donate
Tue May 13, 2008 12:47 am
Ross wrote a review...



Ailam Remard wrote:Screaming. Dying echoes of screaming. Filling her head with long lost, painful memories of misery and havoc. Her voice was somewhere among those voices, those blood curdling voices. And she couldn't remember why she had been screaming, why everyone had been screaming. All she could remember was that after the last screams had died out, cold air playing with her hair, and sun setting over the horizon, she was lost.

This needs to be italicized. Or you need some foreshadowing so people will know it's a dream.

Ailam Remard wrote: Lost. That was a scary word. It made your blood run cold.

This is unnecessary. You're only in a dream and I've never dreamed and thought at the same time.


Ailam Remard wrote: Positive.

This could be italicized also...for more effect.

Ailam Remard wrote: The glassy surface of the water reflected her puffy red eyes and tear stained cheeks. Was that her? Instinctively, she brought a hand down to her belly and rubbed it. She could just start to make out the firmness of it. It wasn’t like a regular belly.

Is she kneeling, standing? Show us!

Also, I thought the ending was rather abrupt and cliche. Show us her internal struggles, the tears as Matt says "I love you" You don't include enough thought in your characters and that makes them flat. Otherwise, good job!




User avatar
713 Reviews


Points: 7740
Reviews: 713

Donate
Mon May 12, 2008 11:35 pm
BigBadBear wrote a review...



Eghad!

This was probably the best story you've written so far. I mean... it was really great. I really liked it. Your grammar has gotten really great.

Screaming. Dying echoes of screaming. Filling her head with long lost, painful memories of misery and havoc.


I would combine the bolded sentences.

“Matt?” She started. “I got to tell you something.”


'She' doesn't need to be capitalized.

“I got to go doll.” He whispered over the phone. “Boss.”

Comma after go and comma after doll. Take away the period. And lowercase the he.

She slammed the cell phone shut and started to cry harder. She threw it into the lake below. She couldn’t kill herself now. Maybe later.


I think that this is a little too dramatic. I wouldn't toss my phone over the edge of the bridge. I mean, even if I were pregant (yeah, that would be a little weird) the phone is still expensive. Maybe have her almost throw it over?

Overall, it was awesome. I wanna read the next chapter!

-Jared





Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria